Underwriting Manager / Senior Underwriter
Join in the Battle For Better Banking.
Battle Financial, Inc. is building Battle Bank, N.A. (in organization) as a next-generation branchless, direct bank to help savvy consumers rid themselves of their existing banking institutions that continue to offer little to no value in their financial relationships. The bank’s mission will be to revolutionize banking, as we believe clients deserve intuitive banking, high yields, access to global markets and premium service.
Battle Bank, N.A. is seeking a tech-savvy, experienced, and knowledgeable individual who will hold a key position within our banking institution, This role encompasses responsibilities such as managing daily operations of the underwriting process, overseeing complex lending relationships, and underwriting a wide range of credits.
The Underwriting Manager/Sr. Underwriter will report directly to the Chief Credit Officer (CCO) in managing the loan portfolio. This is a full-time position, with a pay range of $120,000 to $140,000 depending on experience. Battle Bank, N.A. offers a generous PTO policy, health, dental and vision insurance, term life AD&D insurance and employer contributions to a 401(K) plan.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the following satisfactorily; other duties may be assigned.
- Lead the Underwriting Department that will be comprised of a group of analysts.
- Manage a portfolio of commercial and consumer borrowers, including annual reviews, borrowing bases, extensions, past due collections, and fielding inbound questions and requests.
- Credit Analysis: Conduct comprehensive financial analysis of potential and existing borrowers to evaluate creditworthiness, repayment capacity, and risk exposure.
- Risk Assessment: Assess various credit risk factors, including financial performance, industry trends, market conditions, and collateral evaluation, to determine the level of risk associated with each credit application or existing credit exposure.
- Credit Policy Compliance: Ensure compliance with internal credit policies, procedures, and regulatory requirements while evaluating credit applications and maintaining existing credit portfolios.
- Due Diligence: Conduct thorough due diligence on prospective borrowers, including site visits, interviews, and verification of financial and non-financial information provided.
- Financial Modeling: Develop and utilize financial models to analyze complex financial data, perform stress tests, and evaluate the impact of various scenarios on credit risk.
- Credit Recommendations: Prepare detailed credit reports and make recommendations regarding credit limits, terms, and conditions for new and existing credit facilities.
- Portfolio Management: Monitor and review the performance of assigned credit portfolios, identifying early warning signs, and taking appropriate actions to mitigate risk.
- Team Leadership: Provide guidance, mentorship, and support to junior credit analysts, reviewing their work and ensuring high-quality credit analysis.
- Stakeholder Management: Collaborate with relationship managers, senior management, and other relevant stakeholders to understand business objectives, provide credit advice, and contribute to strategic decision-making.
- Continuous Improvement: Stay updated on industry trends, credit risk management practices, and regulatory changes, and recommend process improvements to enhance the credit analysis function.
- Continuous Learning
- Customer Service
- Planning & Organization
- Problem Solving
- Use of Technology
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education / Experience
Master’s degree or equivalent; or four to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Read, analyze and interpret business, professional, technical or governmental documents. Write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, customers and the public.
Calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference and volume. Apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Working knowledge of bank core systems (Fiserv) and Loan Originations systems (Baker Hill) is a plus.
Yes, supervisory responsibilities will include managing a team of Analysts and/or Portfolio Managers.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment is fast-paced, and heavily reliant on technology. Individual must be comfortable with computer systems, email, web-based applications and a paperless environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is frequently required to talk, hear and use hands to execute tasks. The employee is occasionally required to stand and move around for work. The employee must be able to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
Battle Financial, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and will make all employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status, disability, veteran status or other protected status, in accordance with federal, state and local laws. We are looking for direct candidate applications only. Please no recruiters or agencies.